Craft Beer, Fine Wine, Artisan Spirits, and Mouthgasmic Food.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A healthful spin on burgers, fries, and chocolate

Because John and I are both active Crossfitters, I decided that we needed gigantic burgers in our diet. Instead of doing a traditional burger, I went with ostrich as it is supposedly lower in fat. My inner foodie decided to play around, and I came up with this recipe. I also really wanted to use some of the best bread I could find so I got two large brioche buns from Walton's Fancy and Staple. I LOVE Walton's baked goods. Light, buttery, and Absolutely Fabulous. I served this with sweet potato fries and chocolate avocado mousse. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
16 oz ground Ostrich (You could use other meats. I got this at Natural Grocers at 38th & Guadalupe, Austin, TX)
3 oz creamy blue cheese, crumbled (I used St. Angus available at Whole Foods)
2 oz walnuts, chopped
1 splash of liquid smoke
black peppers
2 large brioche buns, warmed and toasted (from Walton's)
1 meduim onion, carmelized

Mix all ingredients except for the buns and onions. Mix lightly to preserve the blue cheese bits. You don't want to totally mush them up. Shape into two large patties. Like I said, Crossfitters need protien. :o) Pan fry on each side for about 4 minutes until done. You should be able to smell the cheese as it is cooking. The cheese on the outside should be carmelized. Plate up the burgers and buns and top with carmelized onions. The cheese flavor should permeate the entire burger with little bits melted throughout. The walnuts give it a nutty flavor and meatier texture than plain ground meat. Mmmm........ Yum!

My sweet potato fries are hand cut, tossed in olive oil, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, then at 425 for 15 minutes. You can reduce cooking time by cutting thinner fries and microwaving before baking.

Chocolate avocado mousse is almost easiler than the fries. Process 1 large ripe avocado with 3-5 dried dates. When smooth, add 1/4 cup of avage nectar, 1 large tablespoon of raw cacao, and 1 splash of vanilla. Mix, store in the fridge, or eat immediately.

*Note: I actually used double fiber bread on my burger. John got to eat a Walton's brioche bun. Other than the brioche bun and cheese, this meal is fairly healthful. Fairly as compared to other burger, fries, and chocolate meals. Also, 1/2 lb burgers are huge. I only ate 4 oz of mine.

I also used the left over bun to make an egg, cheese, and bacon breakfast sandwich the today. Mmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment