via Beth Krauss....
The Austin Cocktail Throwdown is back! Here’s the call for entries – we’d love your help in passing this along to any/all mixologists and bar/restaurant folks you know who a) serve Tito’s and b) are feeling the need to prove their mixological prowess.
If you’ve been to the contest before, you’ll notice some changes this year. When the finals come around, contestants won’t “present” their recipes for only the judges to taste. Instead, each finalist will do a tasting table, and all attendees will be able to sample each cocktail and vote for their favorite. This should encourage serious mixologists to participate and ensure that we have some killer drinks to represent the city.
Shake it, Stir it, Love it. It’s Austin.
Mixologists, this is your shot. The Austin Cocktail Throwdown returns for its sixth annual contest on Thursday, Sept. 24 at the Gibson Guitar Showroom. The winning cocktail will be named “official drink of Austin” and promoted as such by the City of Austin’s official marketing organization (Austin CVB) for one year following the contest.
HOW TO ENTER
Use Tito’s Handmade Vodka to craft an original cocktail – martini, shot, tea, anything goes – that you think captures the essence of Austin. Name it something clever, and email your recipe to Beth Krauss, email@example.com, by 5 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 3.
Five finalists will be selected by a panel of hospitality folks and food media – they’ll be judging on creativity, menu appeal and incorporation of local flavors/ingredients. Finalists will be announced on Friday, Sept. 11, and will serve their entries at the Throwdown on Sept. 24.
One big change from last year – finalists will not be required to do special presentations at the event. Instead, finalists will set up tasting stations for all attendees to sample each cocktail and vote.
- · Contest is open to any establishment in the Austin metro area that serves Tito’s Handmade Vodka. Tito’s must be included in the recipe.
- · Entry must be a new, original drink – something not already available on your menu (renaming an existing drink doesn’t make it new).
- · Potentially offensive submissions will be disqualified in the first round.
- · Recipes submitted after the deadline will not be submitted to judges (hospitality community leaders, food media). First round is blind judging – judges will not know whose recipe is whose.
- · No changes can be made to recipes once they’re submitted.
- · By submitting a recipe, you confirm that your establishment has at least two (2) staff available to serve the cocktail at the event on Sept. 24.
- · If you are named a finalist, you will be responsible for bringing all ingredients except vodka, and any special glasses/garnishes needed to present the drink, to the finals on Sept. 24. Tito’s will provide vodka and basic plastic cups.
- · If you win, you agree that Austin CVB can re-create your recipe at various events throughout 2009-2010. You will always be given credit, even if you’re not present to serve.
THE WINNER RECEIVES…
· National news release announcing your victory and exclusive rights to serving the “Official Drink of Austin” for one year
· Two one-day passes/media wristbands to the ACL Music Festival (for Sunday, Oct. 4), where you’ll serve your drink in the press lounge (and, presumably, rock out)
· Local media coverage from the Austin American-Statesman, Edible Austin, KGSR-FM and more
· Inclusion on itinerary for Austin CVB spring press tour and individual press trips
· Your drink served and establishment represented at Austin CVB events throughout the year:
o “Austin Music, Vol. 9” CD Release Party
o Media reception with the Mayor at City Hall during the SXSW Music Festival
o Austin Film Commission party during the Austin Film Festival
o National Music Bloggers panel during Fun Fun Fun Fest