Thank you everyone for coming to the First Cupcake Smackdown 1.0. I never imagined that this event would grow into the #cupcakeriot that is became. When I first approached the bar owners, I told her we just wanted to get a group of 20 people on their deck with cupcakes. Little did I know that 20 turned into over 1000 people. I have this habit of just going the whole hog when I do things. A big thanks to One-2-One bar for being able to accommodate all of us! Also, I've already been offered 3 venues for next year. If there is a next year. :o)
I'm also posting second place winners in each of the categories sometime later today. There were some really awesome tasting cupcakes with as little as 1.5 points between 1st and second and third place. Great job, Austin!
Future possible events:
Gluten-free and Vegan Smackdown (encompassing all foods and drinks)
Changes for a possible Cupcake Smackdown2.0:
Decorate your own cupcake booth
Make your own fondant decoration booth
Sell tickets for small tastings of different cupcakes
Modest fee for those entering the blind tasting and cutest cupcake contest
Cutest cupcake contest geared more towards artistry and technique
Wine/cocktail and cupcake pairings
Pre-party for tasting competitors and sponsors
Cupcake Smackdown1.0 photos and blog posts:
And also a BIG thank you to all of our Sponsors:
Rise and Shine Bakery
Polka Dots Bakery
Hill Country Cupcakes
Grand Dog Bakery
Austin Urban Gardens
All in One Bakeshop
Bella Cupcake Couture
The Cupcake Bar
One Last Bite
Growing Concerns on KUT
I'm truly touched that so many people came together to put on the event. I cannot thank everyone enough. I'm sure I'm forgetting some well-deserved person on this list. Special thanks to:
- All-In-One Bake shop for supplying the cupcakes for the eating contest - Human division.
- Grand Dog Bakery for supplying the cupcakes for the eating contest - Canine Division.
- Austin Urban Gardens for supplying all the plates and utensils for the smackdown.
- Twin Liquors for the very nice gift basket.
- Thank you to Cecila Nasti from Growing Concerns at KUT for sponsoring the trophies.
- Hill Country Cupcakes, Cupprimo, Sugar Mama's, Be My Cupcake, and the Cupcake Bar for providing items for the auction.
- Traveling Bistro, Cupprimo, L's, Hill Country Cupcake, Delish, PopSoCool, NadaMoo, and Wicked for bringing their yummy treats!
- VERY special thanks to Ryan (nosetotailathome.com), April (TheHungryEngineer), Kristi (AustinFarmtoTable.com), Brian (Keresspices.com), Aaron (AustinEpicurean.com), Kay (@atxfoodnews), Veek Newton, Monica Ortiz, Jeffery, Rebecca Otis, and the Wine and Food Foundation Volunteers. The event could not have happened without you. You were all truly amazing.
- Also, very big thanks to our judges. Thank you to Uchi and Trio at the Four Seasons for letting us borrow your chefs on a busy Saturday night.
- Rise and Shine Bakery for their generous donation to the event.
- Thank you to Ariel Nicole for providing the music.
Best Storefront Chocolate - Walton's
Best Storefront Vanilla - Sugar Mama's
Best Storefront Baker's Choice - Sugar Mama's - The Elvis - banana cake with peanut butter cream
Best Catered Chocolate - Cowgirl Cupcakes
Best Catered Vanilla - L's
Best Catered Baker's Choice - The Cupcake Bar - Tres Leches with Whipped Cream Icing and topped with Toasted Coconut
Best Amateur Chocolate - Amy Blodgett
Best Amateur Vanilla - Laura Kooris
Best Amateur Freestyle - Erica Bommarito - Banana cake swirled with Nutella with a Nutella Buttercream
Best Storefront - Sugar Mama's
Best Catered - Cowgirl Cupcakes
Best Amateur - Erica Bommarito
Best Overall Chocolate - Amy Blodgett (amateur class)
Best Overall Vanilla - Blake Howard (amateur class)
Best Overall Baker's Choice - The Cupcake Bar (catered class) - Tres Leches with Whipped Cream Icing and topped with Toasted Coconut
Cutest Contest (voted by the public for $1 per vote) - One Last Bite Catering with 151 votes
Most Popular - Walton's
Eating Contest Canine division - Logan owned by Cara - 3 cupackes in 11.4 seconds.
Eating Contest Human Division - Chris Floyd 13 cupcakes in 2 minutes.
Second place in Storefront Baker's Choice: Walton's- Key-Lime Cake with Mango-Lime Buttercream topped with Toasted Coconut & and a White Chocolate sand-dollar
Second place in Catered Baker's Choice: Cowgirl Cupcakes- coconut cream - coconut cake with coconut butter cream and toasted coconut flakes
Second place in Amateur Freestyle: Kelly Guerra- confirming flavor
Second place in Storefront Vanilla: PolkaDots
Second place in Catered Vanilla: Cowgirl Cupcakes
Second place in Amateur Vanilla: Blake Howard
Second place in Storefront Chocolate: Sugar Mama's
Second place in Catered Chocolate: One Last Bite
Second place in Amateur Chocolate: Mindy Bayer
Teddy Babcock - Funwithyourfood.com
Peter Tsai – FoodingBlog.com - the Foodingblog photographer \ writer with a taste for fun
Paloma Efron– Paloma Custom Cakes - Cake decorating goddess. And damn fine baker, too.
Kristen Speyer - Betty Crocker in disguise - Are you looking at my cupcakes?
Jenna Noel – Associate Publisher of Edible Austin - I drink frosting for breakfast.
Michelle Cheng – foodieisthenewforty.com - Attorney and Cupcake at Law
Chris Palomares - Chow Chow Connoisseur - Opa to cupcakes!
Ryan Snedgar - wotonmera.com- "Ryan, Chief Arbiter of Cupcakes"
Kristin Owens- Do512 - It's not the size of the Cup it's the shake of the Cake
Marshall Wright - eatthislens.com - food writer/photographer
Jessica Maher – Spoon & Co. - Eats cupcakes in a single bite
Lisa Lawless – Lisaiscooking.com -Red head with a palate for red velvets
Chris Speyer - Chief taster of the Speyer Ranch - Will judge for booze
Brian Dorman - Keresspices.com
Darrell Joseph – BellaVerdiFarms - I grow cupcake farms.
Todd Duclephan – Executive Chef at Trio/Four Seasons - I could judge cupcakes in my sleep.
Nataya Anderson – FeteandFeast.com -The REAL Everyday Foodie
Phillip Speer – Pastry Chef at Uchi -Want some Uni on your cupcake?
Jodi Bart – Tasty Touring and KGSR - Has anyone invented a cupcake top?
Devrah Otten - winner of the tasting competition portion of That Takes The Cake(2008 and 2009) - Cupcake Mistress of the Delicious.