Craft Beer, Fine Wine, Artisan Spirits, and Mouthgasmic Food.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Ramen Tatsuya, take two: How to enjoy Ramen Tatsuya at home

Before you freak out and wonder how there is such a thing as leftover Ramen Tatsuya, remember that patience is a virtue that is highly rewarded. 

Enoki mushrooms, rice noodles, marinated egg, and ground pork
There’s really no need for me to reiterate what pretty much every food magazine, blogger, instagrammer, food television show, and food personality has said. Ramen Tatsuya is the gold standard of ramen. Sometimes you want that Ramen Tatsuya, but you just don’t want to leave
the house.


You'll find this in my freezer.

Short of getting someone else to bring Ramen Tatsuya to you, you can save your leftover broth for a rainy day. I started saving my broth after devouring the slender noodles, soft yet structured eggs, and tender meat in the to-go containers. When I get home, I pour it into a sturdier container and freeze it until I’m ready. I’ll often add many visits worth of broth into the same container.

While there’s many things you can do with the broth, I’ll go through my typical routine. I’ve also condensed the broth and served it with leftover pork chop from Perry’s. I used spaghetti squash once, but I didn’t love the results. The squash didn’t have enough texture to hold up to the broth. I've also used cooked shredded napa cabbage, which is quite nice.
Enoki mushrooms purchased at an Asian Supermarket.
When thinking about serving up leftover ramen broth, start by thinking about what types of add-ins that you want. Ground pork, enoki mushrooms, and marinated egg are my go to favorites. If I’m feeling like some carbs, I will bring out the transparent rice noodles often used in hot pot / shabu shabu. Any type of noodle will work great. 

My ingredients in the saucepan.
For the ground pork, you’ll want to saute it up in a pan or use your Instant Pot. I like to add minced garlic or fried shallots to mine. When I use enoki mushrooms, I simply wash them and cut off the root part until I am ready to use them. For egg marinade, I simply put eggs into a mixture of 50:50 soy sauce to water. I don’t simmer it like you do in many marinated egg recipes, nor do I add all the extras. Sometimes I’m just not motivated enough to get all the ingredients out.


Warmed up and ready to eat.
To serve the leftover broth, I let it defrost in the fridge for a day or two. I heat it up in a saucepan, and then I add it whatever I want. If it is enoki mushrooms or noodles, I’ll add those 2-4 minutes (depending on the types of noodles) before I add in the other ingredients.

Another day, another bowl.
Because I believe in conserving water by not doing unnecessary dishes, sometimes I’ll eat it directly out of the saucepan. Serve with a beer, and you can enjoy Ramen Tatsuya at home without ever leaving the kitchen.


Doing leftovers right.
Or you can find every opportunity to visit Ramen Tatsuya.

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMmmmm. Totally trying this! Those enoki mushrooms would be awesome in Tatsu-ya broth.

    ReplyDelete