Craft Beer, Fine Wine, Artisan Spirits, and Mouthgasmic Food.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Asian Food in Austin: 2014 Edition before I stuff my face in Asia

Not long from now, I will departing to the other side of the planet to embark on an eating journey that will no doubt leave me with a Winter Wardrobe several sizes too small. While I’m gone, here’s my list of restaurants in Austin to get a taste of the East.  Last year’s expanded list is here:
 
Xian Sushi and Noodle House is serves hand pulled noodles, pulled to your specifications. You can have thick noodles, thin noodles, or even flat noodles. I suggest the traditional beef noodle soup as a starter. They also have a great happy hour and reverse happy hour!
Here's the beef noodle soup at Xian Noodle House. 

Shabu Hot Pot and Noodle House (formerly Chenz) is your go to stop for hot pot. While it is a perfect communal and interactive meal on a bitterly cold day, I would eat it alone on a warm day.
Chen’s Noodle House (related to Shabu, but not related to me) is another go to for Chinese noodle dishes.
Don't miss the crispy rice at Umai Mi. The texture is delightful.

Rice Bowl Cafe has the best three cup chicken. The garlic in the dish is worth a cross city trek. Don’t forget the green onion pie when you are there. 

Snow Monster is the new boba tea. Shaved ice has been popular in Asian countries since before I was born. It is just now being discovered here in Austin. Sit down, have one, and get a taste of my mother country.
A lovely twist on deviled eggs.

Kin and Comfort is a little more off the traditional beaten path. However, it is so well executed that even my mother was pleased with the fusion of Southern Comfort and Asian Cuisine. I ordered one of everything on the menu, and you can too.
 
Umai Mi is not in Austin, but it deserves a nod not only in the Asian food category, but it also deserves a nod in the San Antonio restaurant category. Chef Jason Dady has done a fantastic job putting a modern flair on Asian cuisine. My favorite was the eel dumplings, hands down.
These are some amazing eel dumplings at Umai Mi.

[Coming up] Angry Bear is Rene Ortiz and Laura Sawicki’s version of Chinese food. Having sampled their mapo tofu at a previous event, I can attest that your socks will be knocked off.
[Coming up] Wu Chow by Mat Clouser and CK Chin should be on your radar. As the choices for satisfactory dim sum in Austin are slimmer than a saffron thread, this new restaurant is a welcome addition. I can’t wait for it to open.

No comments:

Post a Comment