Craft Beer, Fine Wine, Artisan Spirits, and Mouthgasmic Food.

Monday, January 5, 2015

Raw Cookie Dough Recipe that is Good for You - Gluten-free

I found a recipe I really liked via Facebook for a food item I don't actually like to eat.  This is something short of a miracle, and I'm wanted to post my own version of it here. For those who are on a gluten-free diet, this recipe out to fit the bill.

I don't eat cookies or cookie dough often for one simple reason.  I know how they are made - with copious amounts of butter and sugar.  That is why they are so delicious.  I saw this recipe for raw chocolate chip cookie dough, and I was intrigued.  The ingredients were simple and actually fit what I try to eat when I'm not indulging.  So I decided to try to make some as well.
 
Here's my version of the recipe - Snickerdoodle version.  You can add anything you want to this "raw cookie dough."  Nuts, dried cherries, toffee pieces, corn flakes, or whatever else your heart desires can be added.  You can also add cloves, sprinkles, nutmeg, cardamon, or other spices.  However, whatever you add might make it a less healthful version of the original recipe.  I left out the baking soda and the other sugars in this recipe, and I liked it anyways.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans of cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained (30-32 oz)
  • Pinch of salt or two
  • 2-3 heaping tablespoons of honey or agave nectar
  • 3-4 heaping tablespoons of raw almond butter (for a rich mouth feel)
  • Splash of vanilla or vanilla paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Optional:
  • 1/2 cup of coconut (you can use flakes or shredded, sweet or unsweet)
  • Other ingredients you want to add like chocolate chips, nuts, or toffee.
1. Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Add more or less honey and salt to your taste. 
2. Transfer dough into tupperware and chill in the refrigerator.  Eat with a spoon.
I was not motivated to roll the dough into balls or to think of some beautiful way to serve them.  I eat a few spoonfuls as a snack, and it is perfectly satisfying off of a spoon.  :o)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love using chick peas in desserts. They are so versatile!

    ReplyDelete