Craft Beer, Fine Wine, Artisan Spirits, and Mouthgasmic Food.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Eating through San Francisco - part 1

Welcome to MisoHungry's eating tour of San Francisco.  While I didn't get to explore every nook and cranny of the culinary diverse city, I did hit up some finds that aren't available in Austin.  A few tips before we begin:

bulletClear Coverage in San Francisco is a joke.  Don't even bother.  If you follow me on Twitter, you'll see that I complained about it many times, and Clear simply didn't respond. 
bulletAT&T coverage is terrible. Make sure your phone is charged. Make sure you have hard copies of maps.  Chances are that your iphone will leave you stranded if you rely on it for maps and communication.
bulletJust because a road looks flat on the physical map, it might be a gigantic steep hill.  Walking times should be estimated about 100 times longer than normal.
Lunch right off the subway started at Miss Saigon. I enjoyed the seafood clay pot that was utterly delightful.  The claypot held heat for a very long time, leaving some of the rice crunch, as advertised in the menu.  The rice was flavored with a slightly sweet fried shallot sauce that was to die for.

Clay pot number 63.

Spicy Shrimp.

I couldn't resist snapping a photo of this one. 
I started the next day with a visit to the Heart of San Francisco Farmer's Market.  One huge difference I saw in the San Francisco Farmer's Markets as compared to the Austin ones is sheer number of produce vendors.  Most Austin Farmer's Markets I've visited have a much smaller ratio of produce vendors. 


Cheese vendor.

Orchids.

Cherries.

Fish.

Flavored honey straws.



A pork mole tamale.

Photo of a cafe window.

The case at Tartine.

Tartine tart.

A chicken taco from La Palma.

The "small" ice cream sundae from St. Francis Soda.

@windaddict and a Deschutes Porter

2 comments:

  1. Tartine! Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I wish I were devouring those Miss Saigon dishes right now. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete